Tuesday 11 January 2011

Well that didn't last long...

So much for keeping up the blogging eh. I'd say I'm going to try to blog more, but we all know I won't stick to it, so I'll keep schtum. Late nights (4:32 am, no sleep as of yet) leave me wanting to share thoughts, so we've all got something to be annoyed at late nights for eh?

A comment first on the NHS: how can it's staff be so different?! Early Sunday morning, for long-winded reasons, an ambulance was called for me, and oh the paramedics! Not exactly the cheeky but compassionate people you see on Casualty. The bloke went snooping round the flat, looking at my boyfriend's uni timetable, not showing a great deal of interest in the patient, while his colleague treated me like I was a nuisance! Not one nice word of reassurance did she give me, simply an air of "Fine, let's get you to the hospital so we can get rid of you." It was a nasty feeling, and didn't exactly make me feel any better considering the amount of pain I was in.

But this stands in starkest contrast to the staff at the hospital, the majority of which were lovely. The nurses and doctor I saw in A&E were kind, considerate and seemed to actually want to help me, even if they were rather clueless about what was wrong with me (a doctor I saw late in the observation ward even had to go and ask the nurses what ME was!). Clueless, but they had plenty of pain relief to give me, and at least acted as though they cared.

I suppose some understanding can be had for the paramedics; it was early Sunday morning (around 6), so they'd probably had hours of drunkenness and hudlums and time-wasters. But in their attitude I found a distinct lack of professionalism; surely as someone dealing with the sick, ill and injured, a caring nature is part of the job?

No comments: